[uf-discuss] Plazes & Microformats

Ryan King ryan at technorati.com
Wed Apr 19 12:23:42 PDT 2006

On Apr 19, 2006, at 5:00 AM, Chris Messina wrote:

> I believe that this is possible, given that a proposed optimization to
> collapse vcard and fn into one class value (class="vcard fn") was
> rejected for this very reason.

That's right. The reason you can't collapse a 'vcard' class name and
its 'fn' class name is that it makes putting a 'vcard' class name
inside another one becomes ambiguous.

To answer Pieter's question, in hcard, nested hcards are possible.
The standard use case would be the AGENT property of VCARD [http://
microformats.org/wiki/hcard-examples#3.5.4_AGENT_Type_Definition].

For (a somewhat realistic) example...

        <!-- the order is actually irrelevant here class="vcard
agent" is synonymous -->

The AGENT property of vcard can be either:

1. another vcard (default)
2. text
3. URI

So, we have the same options in hcard.