RSS DoS problem (was Re: [uf-discuss] UID, URL, live microformats (was: Microformat auto-discovery WAS: Plazes & Microformats))

Ryan King ryan at technorati.com
Wed Apr 19 12:48:11 PDT 2006

On Apr 19, 2006, at 10:45 AM, Tantek Çelik wrote:
> Though you do point out that like all current popular forms of web
> syndication, contacts and events have something similar to the "RSS
> Denial
> Of Service" problem.
>
> http://weblog.philringnalda.com/2002/10/19/joels-rss-problem

Tell me about it!

Some people are hitting http://microformats.org/feed/ every twenty
minutes! And we post once a week, at most!

If that's you (and I'm talking to you,
c-24-16-10-68.hsd1.wa.comcast.net), stop it!

:-D -ryan

PS - as a sidenote, a lot of people were getting 302's when hitting
www.microformats.org, where they should have been 301's. Sorry if any
of you have had problems with that, it should be fixed now.