[uf-discuss] Plazes & Microformats

Scott Reynen scott at randomchaos.com
Wed Apr 19 14:59:12 PDT 2006

On Apr 19, 2006, at 4:32 PM, Ryan King wrote:

>>>        <!-- the order is actually irrelevant here class="vcard
>>> agent" is synonymous -->
>>>
>>> Which hcard does the 'agent' belong to?
>>
>> If we were determining belonging with a nearest-parent algorithm
>> that started with self,
>
> We're *not* using nearest-parent here. We're parsing top down.

Isn't that just the same thing with a different name?  Whichever
direction you're parsing, you know which vcard a property belongs to
by looking at the closest vcard in the hierarchy.  What I'm asking
is: why isn't the self considered the closest?

On Apr 19, 2006, at 4:17 PM, Tantek Çelik wrote:

> Things are working as-is, the risk of change is high, and the
> reward is low.
> Unless you have a serious objection, I'd like to consider this
> proposal
> rejected and move on.

People continue to ask the same question over and over and the answer
doesn't make any sense to me (nor, apparently, David).  I'm not
asking for a change in the spec.  I'm asking for an explanation of
the spec, so that I will know what to say when I'm suggesting someone
use microformats and they ask me the same question.  I can't honestly
say "it's ambiguous" because it doesn't look ambiguous to me.  I know
very clearly which vcard that agent belongs to, and I know how to
tell a machine which it belongs to.  What I don't know is why I
shouldn't be doing that.

Peace,
Scott