[uf-discuss] locations/cities/countries/categories & hcalendar

Brian Suda brian.suda at gmail.com
Wed Apr 19 20:11:58 PDT 2006

There is an address design pattern[1]. it is taken from the hCard
spec. So for location you could mark it up as:

<abbr class="geo location adr" title="34.34;-120.12"><span
class="locality">Any Town</span>, <abbr class="region"
title="Missouri">MO</abbr> <abbr class="country-name" title="United
States of America">USA</abbr></abbr>

With this example I have encoded both a LAT/LON geolocation[2] and an
ADR inside location. This will degrade gracefully because hCalendar
does not know about those other class names and will output:

LOCATION:Any Town, MO, USA

but other transforming applications can leverage the additional
semantics provided in the GEO and ADR properties.

in addition for CATEGORIES, you could use the Rel-Tag[3]

-brian

[1] - http://microformats.org/wiki/adr
[2] - http://microformats.org/wiki/geo
[3] - http://microformats.org/wiki/rel-tag

On 4/19/06, Michael MD <mdagn at spraci.com> wrote:
> does anyone have any ideas about good ways to specify cities and countries
> in hcalendar listings?
>
> What would be the best way to do this?
>
> I see a lot of people just putting a city or state name in the location
> field but it would be nice if there was a standard way to to this.
> (there can be multiple cities with the same name around the world and
> abbreviations for states may not be meaningful if the country is not
> specified)
>
> ...also categories are a good idea too ... (so they can put in tags related
> to music genres, type of event, etc)
>
> any ideas?

brian suda
http://suda.co.uk