"uid" microformats? (was Re: [uf-discuss] ISBN mark-up)

Tantek Ç elik tantek at cs.stanford.edu
Fri Apr 21 11:21:27 PDT 2006

On 4/21/06 10:08 AM, "Edward Summers" <ehs at pobox.com> wrote:

> On Apr 21, 2006, at 8:08 AM, Andy Mabbett wrote:
>> Perhaps not a microformat, in the sense used here, but I feel that
>> there
>> should be some way (or is there already?) for marking up an ISBN
>> number,
>> so that it is recognisable as such.
>
> Yes, Dan Chudnov (they guy behind COinS) actually started a
> conversation about an identifier microformat on here several months ago:
>
>  http://microformats.org/discuss/mail/microformats-discuss/2005-
> November/002106.html
>
> I agree, an identifier microformat could be used for ISBNs, ISSNs,
> DOIs, UPCs, etc. How about we start a page for this on the wiki? RFC
> 4452 makes would mesh nicely with a decent identifier microformat.
>
> Let's get this going.

This seems to have a lot of overlap with the URL, UID thread as well.

Ed, perhaps this is already an (almost) solved problem.

Just as we extracted "geo" and "adr" from hCard to address the use cases
brought up the Geo community for a simple format for locations, perhaps we
can extract "uid" from hCard for this purpose and be done with it without
adding any additional vocabulary.

Thoughts?

Tantek