[uf-discuss] Plazes, Part 2

Scott Reynen scott at randomchaos.com
Fri Apr 21 12:01:12 PDT 2006

On Apr 21, 2006, at 1:29 PM, Ryan King wrote:

>> The problem is that each of these x-parameters
>> are vendor specific and are not part of the RFC. Secondly, there
>> is no
>> way to be 100% sure that "x-im" is in reference to an IM address or
>> just a CSS class name that happens to be called "x-im".
>
> Also, remember the "x-" means "eXperimental." They are a method for
> particular vendors to try things out in the wild before proposing
> them as additions to the standard.

The RFC says it means "eXtended" and seems to suggest that these may
go on being x- types forever without standardization.

'The types defined by this document can be extended with private
types using the non-standard, private values mechanism defined in
[RFC 2045]. Non-standard, private types with a name starting with
"X-" may be defined bilaterally between two cooperating agents
without outside registration or standardization.'

http://www.ietf.org/rfc/rfc2426.txt

If we're waiting for Apple to propose X-AIM as an addition to the
RFC, I suspect we'll be waiting for a long time.  I'm not clear on
what harm might come from adding x- class names to vcards.  Don't
tools just ignore types they don't understand?

Peace,
Scott