[uf-discuss] ISBN mark-up

Benjamin Carlyle benjamincarlyle at optusnet.com.au
Mon Apr 24 20:09:16 PDT 2006

On Mon, 2006-04-24 at 23:39 +0100, Andy Mabbett wrote:
> In message <D53CA839-59AC-4E9E-AEDB-BE3ABB2B0C63 at hubmed.org>, Alf Eaton
> <lists at hubmed.org> writes
> >> How would you see that sitting inside HTML mark-up?
> ><abbr class="uri" title="urn:isbn:0950788120">0 9507881-2-0</abbr>
> I'm very concerned that that may be an abuse of "abbr"; and wonder how
> it will sound when read to someone using assistive software?

It would be nice to have a more specific html element to work with. What
we use abbr for most of the time in microformats is not to provide an
expansion of an abbreviation, but to provide a canonicalisation. Those
are often the same thing, but it still seems a little odd.

I think it becomes odder as you cross language and culture boundaries.
In these cases canoncalisation to a machine-readable format may be
increasingling important, but the mapping to "abbr" increasingly skewed.

Hixie: Help! :)

Benjamin.