"uid" microformats? (was Re: [uf-discuss] ISBN mark-up)

Xiaoming Liu liu_x at lanl.gov
Tue Apr 25 08:19:46 PDT 2006

On Tue, 25 Apr 2006, Ryan King wrote:

> URLs, if used propertly can be sufficient for "globalby unique
> identifier[s]." Sure, you can mess things up by using a non-routeable address
> or scheme, but its pretty easy to get it right, too.

URLs may apply to many cases but not necessarily all.

-- some identifiers are not resolvable by default, such as UUID
-- many identifiers have well-established convention by URI/URN registry,
such as urn:isbn or tel:, in these cases I don't think it's a good
practice to re-invent all of them in URL.

I think the case for ISBN is no big difference from telephone number or
zip code, etc. One may want to use good established practices instead of
having to create a URL for them.

> Adding a URI property to any microformat would mean an expansion to the
> vocabulary, when we already have several very close terms. I'd be wary of
> doing that.

Is it possible to enumerate other alternatives? I am not well familar with
all other choices, but I think both UID and URL have problems.

regards,
xiaoming