[uf-discuss] ISBN mark-up

Atamido paul at msn.com
Tue Apr 25 11:07:38 PDT 2006

Benjamin Carlyle wrote:
> It would be nice to have a more specific html element to work with. What
> we use abbr for most of the time in microformats is not to provide an
> expansion of an abbreviation, but to provide a canonicalisation. Those
> are often the same thing, but it still seems a little odd.

It would indeed be nice if there were an X/HTML element that was like
the abbr element, but where the primary purpose was to present human
readable information to the user for machine readable data in the
source.  But there isn't, so it isn't much to worry about.  Although, I
think if there were, there would be even greater abuses of it than we
ever see with abbr.

Atamido