"uid" microformats? (was Re: [uf-discuss] ISBN mark-up)

Ross Singer ross.singer at library.gatech.edu
Tue Apr 25 20:02:38 PDT 2006

On 4/25/06, Tantek Çelik <tantek at cs.stanford.edu> wrote:
> Yes, we get things done because we dismiss the 20% in favor of getting the
> 80% working well.

Except, in this case, you've dismissed the entire problem that we're
trying to solve here by merging into some only quasi-related "80%"
case.

I would also like to note, that you are, in fact, the only dissenting
voice on a lot of these.  You, in fact, seem like the 20%.

> > And, quite frankly, that's a disturbing viewpoint.
>
> To some perhaps.
>
> To those that seek a perfect schema or format to cover all (or even most)
> edge cases, microformats may be quite disturbing.

I think it's easy to cast anything as an "edge case" when it doesn't
pertain to your business model or current occupation.  To cast URI
(or, rather, the entire universe of "identification" outside of what
currently has a URL) as "edge case" seems particularly short sighted.

> We've deliberately, not lightly, taken this stance, and no amount of
> theoretical problem raising will change it.

When you can prove, beyond a "theory" that "url" is the predominant
"identifier" you can make that claim.  Until then, it's just
stubbornly sticking to a dogma.

-Ross.