[uf-discuss] Microformats vs XML

Phil Haack haacked at gmail.com
Wed Apr 26 23:08:14 PDT 2006

Well XML isn't really supported by all browsers.  If I markup some data
like:

<calendar xmlns="http://example.org/myformat/">
	<date>1/23/2005</date>
	<event>Blah</event>
</calendar>

A browser can't by default render that as it could if that was (x)html
markup.  That's one benefit of Microformats is that it is designed for
humans first, unlike XML languages.

Where the redundancy comes in is in the form of XML feeds such as RSS and
ATOM.  These type of feeds are separate from your main content (i.e. your
website) but they contain duplicate content from your website.

I guess what I'm looking for is discussion on why would one choose
Microformats over XML languages or any other popular means of embedding
data.

Perhaps I should look at how Microformats contrast with Dublin Core/RDF.

My article discusses the principles and benefits of Microformats, but I
haven't had a really strong discussion of why not use XML or RDF as well as
the weaknesses of Microformats.

Thanks for the feedback!

Phil