[uf-discuss] relatinal modeling in microformats?

Bruce D'Arcus bdarcus.lists at gmail.com
Wed Aug 2 05:38:06 PDT 2006

So I've been saying we need for hCite to correctly model the
relational character of bibliographic data so that we keep a foucsed
core, but also leave flexiblity.

The more I think of this, the more I think this is a general issue.
For example, say I'm using hCal (which I've not), how do I indicate
that an event is part of another event?

I can find these examples of conference schedules:

<http://www.gustavus.edu/events/nobelconference/2006/schedule.cfm>
<http://2006.dconstruct.org/schedule/>

Here there are calendars with embedded events for each presentation.
But it seems to me the nested event relations are only implicit. In
the second case, for example, there is an event description for the
conference, but it is in no way associated with the calendar for the
conference.

And what if I am writing a weblog post about a particular
presentation, and want to make clear that that event is part of a
conference? I want to say "I saw Jane Doe give talk entitled X, Y, Z
at the ABC Conference." How would I do that using microformats?

The problem, it seems to me, is the same as indicating the relation
between an article and a periodical, or a post and a weblog. And, of
course, citations can themselves be references to events.

Bruce