[uf-discuss] Live Clipboard Screen Cast

Scott Reynen scott at randomchaos.com
Thu Aug 3 11:13:23 PDT 2006

On Aug 3, 2006, at 12:38 PM, Stephen Farrell wrote:

> The issue I found was that if you were pasting an object from one
> website to another, the blended presentation and content of
> microformats probably wasn't what you wanted, because you probably
> wanted the object formatted and styled and presented in the way
> that the target site wanted.  I suggested using microtemplates as a
> way to handle the presentation on the target site - some client-
> side templating would be required, for sure.  Also, I had to go
> from microformat to json in order to bind the microtemplate (which
> got me very unhappy about parsing microformats), which made me
> wonder whether microformat as a data representation actually worked
> in this context.

Any use of microformats needs to strip out the irrelevant HTML
semantics and present the data in a consistent interface.  I think
the only differences between this context and any other are: 1) we
are restricted to JavaScript, which is more limited than the wide
array of server-side parsing tools, and 2) the source and target
interface are both HTML, so it's tempting to think we don't actually
have to parse the data.  But data parsing is required between copy
and paste in desktop applications, so why should copy and paste on
the web be any different?

Peace,
Scott