[uf-discuss] Google Base API

David Janes davidjanes at blogmatrix.com
Thu Aug 24 13:49:45 PDT 2006

Google Base is explicitly trying to do something that Microformats are
not: boil the ocean, or in this particular case, a sea in the ocean.

Google Base silos are basically spreadsheets; each record is a row in
the spreadsheet. How do you model that in Microformats? In fact, the
best/easiest way of modeling that is supported by Google Base: you can
upload CSV files. The Google Base data API just provides a simple way
of expressing that spreadsheet in XML. Marc Canter's bizarre rant this
morning about standards aside, I know of no standard alternative way
to do this. RDF/XML is too expressive, Microformats doesn't try to be
expressive outside of defined problems.

BTW: I demoed in April a quick and dirty hCalendar to Google Calendar
translator (the API to Google Calendar is GData). I didn't pursue this
any further except to demo as a trick because Google didn't provide a
mechanism for 3rd parties to post on your behalf, which meant your
password would have to be given up. With AuthSub [2] this is no longer
an issue so perhaps it's worth reinvestigating.

Regards, etc...
David

[1] http://blog.davidjanes.com/:search:democamp
[2] http://code.google.com/apis/gdata/authsub.html