[uf-discuss] [citation] url field

Ross Singer ross.singer at library.gatech.edu
Sat Dec 2 08:44:19 PST 2006

On 12/2/06, Scott Reynen <scott at randomchaos.com> wrote:
> On Dec 1, 2006, at 10:44 PM, Ross Singer wrote:
>
> > But how many 'citable' URLs contain ISBNs?
>
> Apparently every book on Amazon.com, BarnesAndNoble.com and ISBN.nu
> has a URL containing its ISBN.

This is still my point.  When you are 'citing' a work, that 'work' was
not found at Amazon or BarnesAndNoble.  How do you include these URLs
then?  These are URLs for places to /buy/ the work cited, which, in my
experience, has no precedent in your average bibliography.

Yes, it could potentially work for a book review or casually
mentioning something in a blog, but why not just mark up the ISBN in
that case?

> Sorry, that's just false.  Here's the description:
>
> "Let's say you're on a book-related site (Amazon, BN, isbn.nu) and
> your current page's URL includes an ISBN."

Again, I stand corrected.  I was mixing up LibraryLookup's
functionality with LibX and Google's Tooltips (or whatever it's
called).

I stand by my point, though, why rely on ambiguity?

-Ross.