[uf-discuss] Comments from IBM/Lotus rep about Microformats

Scott Reynen scott at randomchaos.com
Thu Dec 7 13:19:34 PST 2006

On Dec 7, 2006, at 2:28 PM, Mike Schinkel wrote:

> If it is not a scarce resource, please tell me what would happen if I
> decided to start marking up documents, as an example, using the class
> "directory" and "license", for purposes other than rel-directory and
> re-license?

The classes wouldn't cause any problems, but if you mean the "rel"
attribute, that would cause parsers to do confusing things with the
data.  Then people would start complaining to the parser developers,
and the parser developers would start ignoring those attributes
unless they were accompanied by the appropriate profile headers.  And
then publishers would start using the appropriate profile headers to
disambiguate their microformats.  None of that is happening now
because there's no (or very little) ambiguity now, so there's little
incentive to pre-emptively disambiguate.  But if ambiguity ever
becomes a real problem, there's a solution in profile headers ready
to be used.

The next question I expect is: what if you want to use both the
microformats.org rel-license and your own conflicting rel-license in
the same document?  Well, you can't.  Just like in natural language,
if you want to start using symbols with meanings that conflict with
the established standard, you need to be prepared to establish a new
standard meaning.  And the usefulness of your new meaning, rather
than some central authority, will determine whether or not people use
it in place of the alternative meaning.

Peace,
Scott