[uf-discuss] [citation] url field

Alf Eaton lists at hubmed.org
Fri Dec 8 10:14:30 PST 2006

On 08 Dec 2006, at 18:05, Michael McCracken wrote:

> On 12/8/06, Alf Eaton <lists at hubmed.org> wrote:

>> > Can you come up with some examples of IDs that aren't URIs?
>>
>> 1234567
>>
>> (actually that's an ID not a UID: some CMS's might only have internal
>> identifiers for articles - if you were using that to look up further
>> information about the article, the ID would be useful to know).
>
> I'm not sure why you'd mark up a CMS ID that wasn't also a URI as part
> of a microformat. Can you expand on your example?

I'm imagining that a journal produces an article that has a URL,
obviously, but also has an identifier for the article specific to
that journal/publisher/CMS (a7f6r9, say). If the journal had a
service that exported further metadata about that article based on
the identifier, then a processor scraping the page for citation data
would want to know about that.

This is what the class="unapi-id" field in unAPI is for <http://
unapi.info/specs/>, so we could just keep using that, but it would be
nice if the two were compatible.

alf.