[uf-discuss] Comments from IBM/Lotus rep about Microformats

Andy Mabbett andy at pigsonthewing.org.uk
Sat Dec 9 04:50:10 PST 2006

In message <14596d040612090427k4b72dahce9cf826b0e3cf71 at mail.gmail.com>,
Tim Hodson <hodson.tim at googlemail.com> writes

>> Several possible solutions are available to us:
>>
>>    1    Declare that, if the attribute is inside a microformat (in this
>>         case hCard), then it always applies to that uF, but not the
>>         parent uF (in this case the citation)
>
>Surely 1 is the most logical?

Not necessarily

>The fact that the hcard title is NOT in
>the parent citation block would surely mean that I could make the
>sensible assumption that the title attribute for the hcard is NOT the
>same as the title attribute of the citation.  It would be up to me as
>author to clearly express what I meant by using correctly nesting
>tags.

There may be occasions when applying a class to a property in nested uF,
for use by both inner and outer uFs is sensible.

>>    2    Uniquely name the first attribute as, say, class="book-title"
>>         (compare to some of the proposed class names in the 'species'
>>         proposal, which use this method to avoid other clashes).
>
>The citation may not be a book :)

Hence "say".

>>    3    Use an additional wrapper around the hCard on an additional
>>         class on the hCard), to indicate that anything within that
>>         wrapper does not apply to the parent.
>
>As for 3, this is already done in the example given.  The wrappers are
>named hcard and citation

Not so, because they don't currently carry that connotation.

>> My preference is for option 2 - with hindsight, I would have named all
>> the classes in hCard as, say, "vcard-title".
>>

>Naming all the classes with a prefix is unnecessary if you take the
>view that a microformat is a small set of attributes for distinct
>pieces of information.

Your latter consideration does not imply nor justify the former
conclusion.

--
Andy Mabbett
            *  Say "NO!" to compulsory ID Cards:  <http://www.no2id.net/>