[uf-discuss] Microformat versioning

Elias Torres elias at torrez.us
Thu Dec 14 14:51:23 PST 2006

I think it has been a common practice to use URIs or URLs as
versioning mechanisms but I'm not it's the best practice. Let me give
you an example: FOAF. FOAF a namespace but they are often adding new
properties that people agree to be useful just like microformats. The
URL is an identifier of a concept, but shouldn't be thought of it as a
version or that its contents will never change.

In general I think that versioning is such a complicated beast and
that it's hard to solve. Mark Baker recently talked about the issue:

http://www.coactus.com/blog/2006/12/validation-considered-harmful/

However, I think that having disambiguation of properties or concepts
is a good start but need not to be confused with versioning.

-Elias