Development of uFs outside the current framework (was: microformats vs. semantic XHTML (was Re: [uf-discuss] Comments from IBM/Lotus rep about Microformats))

Siegfried Gipp siegfried at rorkvell.de
Wed Dec 20 01:22:49 PST 2006

Am Donnerstag, 14. Dezember 2006 20:41 schrieb Andy Mabbett:

> What if ...
many "what if" :)

> Well, quite. And there's more than one.

Sure. And why not. And there are already publications out there which are
quite old, published long before the term "microformats" was invented, and
which nevertheless is a proposal for the same purpose: Encouraging semantic
markup. I do remember a work of someone, iif i recall right, named "Randall
Trigg", who already defined relation types in the nineties. Although his
relations where not between persons, but between web documents. A very
interesting work. I currently do not have the url, but googling for it should
work.

Or think of the several effords for link relations regarding types
like "next", "prev", "contents" and the like. Already the w3c suggested some.
I've put together a crude page resuming those, plus some reference links:
http://www.rorkvell.de/tech/stdnav

> >In this context, "microformats" may be considered to be something like
> >a "brand".
>
> Like hoover or biro..?

I don't know these :) Well, to make it clear, think of "semantic markup"
as "cigarettes". Then "microformats" is something like "Marlboro". That's a
brand. You can invent any cigarette type you want, but it will never be
Marlboro, if not branded by that company.

Regards
Siegfried