professional relations (was: XFN usage stats and Re:[uf-discuss]rel="muse" implies romantic relationship?)

Siegfried Gipp siegfried at rorkvell.de
Wed Dec 20 01:28:46 PST 2006

Am Samstag, 16. Dezember 2006 08:31 schrieb Mike Schinkel:

> You are making an invalid assumption which is that I'm concerned about my
> markup. No, I'm not. I've concerned about the need for a standard to be
> created so that a body of knowledge and tools can be developed around that
> body of knowledge, and people will evangelize and a large number of people
> will implement.
>
> But that said, it's now clear to me that the microformat brand is not going
> to address my concern. No need to discuss any more; it's a dead issue.

Are you sure? In any democracy a standard is a matter of adoption. And
microformats do have the potential to be widely adopted. Although not for the
majority of pages (at least not within the next ten years). But that's not a
matter of microformats. It is simply that the majority of pages do not care
for semantic markup at all, so why should they care for microformats? In an
old-style page, marked up 100% vo visual effect, microformats is not even
thought of. Nevertheless, and although microformats aren't perfect, it is
still worth the efford.