[uf-discuss] complex even mark-up query

Andy Mabbett andy at pigsonthewing.org.uk
Fri Dec 22 10:10:41 PST 2006

In message <21e770780612220916o47361077ub0acae6ffe29bd4 at mail.gmail.com>,
Brian Suda <brian.suda at gmail.com> writes

>> I should be interested to know how others would mark up this text using hCalendar.

>held at Belvide on Saturday mornings, <abbr class="rdate"
>title="2007-01-13T09:30:00/PT3H,2007-01-20T09:30:00/PT3H,2007-01-27T09:30:00/PT3H,2007-03-03T09:30:00/PT3H">January
>13th, 20th, 27th, & February 3rd, from 9.30am–12.30pm</abbr>, to carry
>out habitat improvement, including scrub removal and coppicing. <span
>class="location">Meet in the car park</span>; tools and gloves will be
>provided. All help will be very welcome.</p>
>
>This is just one interpretation, if you want a description, then you
>can add <span class="description"> around the text you want. If you
>want to also include the URL of the page as the URL in the iCalendar
>file, then you can aslo add <a class="include" href="#fetched">
>
>The RDATE should help "smooth out" all of those dates in a row. There
>has been a problem with some calendar applications not being able to
>import iCalendar files with RDATEs, but there isn't any documentation
>about this yet.

Thank you. I can find no reference to rdate on the hCalendar
cheat-sheet:

        <http://microformats.org/wiki/hcalendar-cheatsheet>

and the only reference in the supposed specification page is in the
section "Human vs. Machine readable":

        <http://microformats.org/wiki/hcalendar#Human_vs._Machine_readable>

How widely supported is it? And why isn't it better documented?

I really do think such deficiencies in the documentation form a block to
more widespread adoption of uFs.

Incidentally, the location is "Belvide", hence my reference to its
hCard.

>If you manage to put some sample markup into a live HTML page please
>send the link, it is much easier to verify, test and debug on a URL
>than text in an email.

        <http://www.westmidlandbirdclub.com/belvide/index.htm>

It seems that neither Tails nor Operate (both extensions for FireFox)
recognise the repeated event, nor the included URL.
--
Andy Mabbett

                        Merry Bloomin' Christmas!