[uf-discuss] rel="payment" officially added to Atom Registry of Link Relations

Joshua Kinberg jkinberg at gmail.com
Thu Feb 2 19:07:34 PST 2006

> I there any kind of requirement as to what is at the other end of the
> rel-payment URI?

This is the original proposal that Robert Sayre and I completed and
sent to the Atom folks many months ago... it may also be the first
such proposal to include a reference to Wu-Tang Clan:
== Registry ==

http://www.iana.org/assignments/link-relations

== Attribute Value ==

"payment"

== Description ==

rel="payment" indicates a URI where payment is accepted. It is meant
as a general way to facilitate acts of payment, and thus this
specification makes no assumptions on the type of payment or
transaction protocol. Examples may include a WWW page where donations
are accepted or where goods and services are available for purchase.
rel="payment" is not intended to initiate an automated transaction.

A link element with a rel="payment" attribute may exist at the
feed/channel level and/or the entry/item level. For example, a
rel="payment" link at the feed/channel level may point to a "tip jar"
URI, whereas an entry/item containing a book review may include a
rel="payment" link that points to the location where the book may be
purchased through an online retailer.

== Display Characteristics ==

End-user software could support rel="payment" by displaying a "payment
button" along with the content. Alternatively, content aggregators may
display a payment hyperlink containing the text specified in a
corresponding title attribute within the <link> element, for example:

<link rel="payment"
    href="http://example.com/c.r.e.a.m"
    title="give me the loot" />

May display either a payment button or a hyperlink containing the
text, "give me the loot."

== Security Considerations ==

The link element is subject to tampering and observation, as is the
linked resource. For that reason, implementations should clearly
signal the level trust and privacy a linked resource provides.  If
present, digital signatures provide authentication, message integrity,
and non-repudiation with proof of origin. Encryption provides data
confidentiality. Implementations should also consider the level of
confidentiality and message integrity provided by the transport used
to reach the payment resource.