[uf-discuss] affiliations in hResume

Ryan King ryan at technorati.com
Sun Feb 12 15:16:34 PST 2006

On Feb 10, 2006, at 1:20 PM, Edward O'Connor wrote:
>> Thoughts? Feelings? Complaints?
>
> Organizational affiliation feels like XFN to me (assuming XFN were
> extended to allow a resource to represent an organization and not an
> individual), so I'm leaning toward rel="member" or something along
> those lines.

I definitely like this idea. However, after looking at all the resume
examples I'd collected, I realized that a good deal of them don't
have URLs (even from the geeks), so I'm going to go with the org
hcard approach for now.

> This brings to mind a question: in general, should we say that an
> XFN-decorated link inside of an hCard is relative to the hCard, not
> the
> containing page?

Eh, I don't think we can do that, for a couple of reasons:

1. Currently XFN consumers don't have to know about hCard, and do
accept your proposal would add a dependency there.
2. Current XFN practice uses URLs as identifiers, this would be
different.
3. Third-party assertions (ie, A says "B and C are friends") aren't
very trustable (why in the world did FOAF allow it?), so I'm not sure
its worth our time.

-ryan