[uf-discuss] xfolk: tags that aren't links

Tantek Ç elik tantek at cs.stanford.edu
Sun Jan 1 19:36:39 PST 2006

On 1/1/06 7:26 PM, "Ryan King" <ryan at technorati.com> wrote:

> On Jan 1, 2006, at 7:19 PM, Angus McIntyre wrote:
>
>> The current spec for the xfolk microformat allows the inclusion of
>> tags in a format like:

>>    <a rel="tag" href="/foo">foo</a>,
>>    <a rel="tag" href="/bar">bar</a> ...
>>
>> This assumes that tags will always be linked to some other object.
>> However, this isn't necessarily the case: I could imagine cases
>> where a webmaster might want to

*Imagining* cases is insufficient to be considered for microformats.

Actual substantial real-world empirical use cases are required.

>> provide a list of keywords
>> associated with a link, but without linking those keywords (tags)
>> to anything else.
>
> This was a deliberate design decision in rel-tag, which has been
> covered before on this list.

What Ryan is saying is that tags without links have been considered and
rejected long ago.

Kevin, I have a feeling you have a longer more detailed explanation of why
requiring tag-spaces are a good thing.

Perhaps you could start a rel-tag FAQ and add that info there:

 http://microformats.org/wiki/rel-tag-faq

Thanks,

Tantek