[uf-discuss] hCalendar anchors...

Mark Mansour mark at lifelint.com
Tue Jan 17 03:10:00 PST 2006

Ben and Brian,

Thanks for the clarification.  I've taken a look at the hCard parsing
document and its made things clearer and simpler.  But I would add
that the parsing instructions aren't totally unambiguous.

For instance, I've had troubles with example 6 because of the parsing
rule which says:
   "Once an element for a property is found, the contents of the
element are used for the value"
but then it says
   For properties that may take type URI ... <a href>: use the value
of the 'href'

and if you do that then you have a summary value that is a URL.  I
mean, why can't a summary be a URL?  I guess you are implicitly saying
that the iCalendar "summary" property cannot have a value of URL and
that is the bit that isn't obvious.

What's the solution?  I guess a list of properties that are URLs
should be listed for each microformat.  It is a limited set of data,
so it should take too long to enumerate those values, but it is a bit
of a PITA...

Thoughts?

Mark

On 1/17/06, Benjamin Carlyle <benjamincarlyle at optusnet.com.au> wrote:
> On Sun, 2006-01-15 at 10:03 -0600, brian suda wrote:
> > In your examples, i think you are confusing two things:
> > 1) The general rule you proposed is not true, it depends on two things,
> > first the TYPE of tag, behavior varies when it is an ABBR, A, IMG,
> > OBJECT, etc. The second issues is that depending on the class value
> > different areas are looked too for the TEXT.
> >
> > so when we have class="url" AND it is an 'A' element it looks to the
> > HREF, if it were an 'IMG' element with a class="url" it would look to
> > the 'SRC' attribute. (i'm not sure if all of this is documented on the
> > wiki or not?) The hCard parsing page[1] has many of the rules for hCard
> > which are the same as hCalendar.
>
> http://microformats.org/wiki/hcard-parsing#parsing_hCard_properties_and_values
>
> I believe this is supposed to be a general parsing ruleset across
> microformats, however presumably individual microformats could define
> special rules for special circumstances.
>
> --
> Benjamin Carlyle <benjamincarlyle at optusnet.com.au>

picking the lint of your life