[uf-discuss] Developing a strategy for deployment of microformats

Ryan King ryan at technorati.com
Wed Jul 5 14:35:57 PDT 2006

On Jul 3, 2006, at 7:26 AM, Brian Kelly wrote:
> However I've encountered a number of irritating problems:
>
> Problems with British Summer Time (Daylight Saving Time).

What problems, specifically?

> I've been told
> that this is a well-known problem in handling date and time
> information, and
> is not directly related to microformats or the software which
> processes
> microformats.  However it strikes me that we will need to ensure
> that end
> users (and microformat maintainers) are aware of such
> limitations.   It also
> strikes me that there's a need for consistency across the software
> vendors -
> which then leads on to (a) more rigorous documentation regarding
> what should
> be done and (b) test cases.  Is anyone working on this?

Yes. hCalendar test cases are in progress at http://
hg.microformats.org/tests .

> As well as the issues regarding the spec and the hCard converters
> there are
> also the issues about limitations in the calendaring tools.  I've
> read some
> messages about Outlook, for example, not processing telephone
> numbers in
> hCards correctly.  In this case, I think there's a need for
> documentation on
> bugs in well-used software such as Outlook.

We have some already:

http://microformats.org/wiki/vcard-implementations
http://microformats.org/wiki/icalendar-implementations

Feel free to add more.

> There is also a need to define what hCard tools should do if they
> encounter
> multiple occurrences of hCards.  I understand that Brian Suda's Web-
> based
> XSLT service processes the first occurrence on a page,

No, it processes all of them.

> whereas Tails
> displays all occurrences in a sidebar.  Should the spec mandate
> what the
> software should do in such circumstances?

No. Each application has different constraints.

-ryan