[uf-discuss] proposal: a[rel=~include]

Ryan King ryan at technorati.com
Wed Jul 5 17:50:12 PDT 2006

As many of us already know, browser support for the object element is
somewhat annoying and problematic when using the include pattern[1].
When we[2] first brainstormed this idea, we knew that using the
object element could get us in trouble.

As a result of the problems with using the object element, Yahoo
local has removed the include pattern from their implementation of
hReview and documented their feedback [4].

Now, I'd like to make a proposal- we should relax the include pattern
to also be used on anchors, like so (from [1]):

> name">Levine</span>

>  <object data="#j" class="include" type="text/html"></object>

This would become:

(sidenote: I don't think the @type should be required after this change)

I don't think using anchor tags for this is optimal or pretty, but it
has the nice advantage of working well in the real world.

As a historical sidenote, I believe I suggested a at href first, then
Tantek countered with object at data (note that they occur in this order
on [3]).

Personally, I think we should prefer the object element, if only for
semantic aesthetic reasons (and because browser shortcomings are
likely to change and/or go away in the future), but allow for anchor
tags to be used in their place.

Is there anything I'm missing here? Are there any objections?

-ryan

1. http://microformats.org/wiki/include-pattern
2. Tantek and I [3].
3. http://flickr.com/photos/tantek/87059138/