[uf-discuss] Easy book citations

Tantek Ç elik tantek at cs.stanford.edu
Sun Jul 30 11:08:29 PDT 2006

On 7/30/06 10:35 AM, "Simon Cozens" <simon at simon-cozens.org> wrote:

> Tantek ?elik:
>>  http://microformats.org/wiki/process
>> Second, the folks working on the citation microformat to date have done *a
>> lot* of work along the lines of the process which I recommend you read to
>> understand the current state of progress:
>>
>>  http://microformats.org/wiki/citation-examples
>>  http://microformats.org/wiki/citation-formats
>>  http://microformats.org/wiki/citation-brainstorming
>>  http://microformats.org/wiki/citation-faq
>
> Oh, I've read it all.

Excellent.

> I'm just of the opinion that following process,
> collating examples, performing analysis, holding discussion, forming
> consensus, trialling implementations, reviewing implementations, and issuing
> specifications is a way to ensure that nothing gets done, ever.

Not true.  hReview was very successfully developed, deployed, and is now
adopted widely per the process.

> The citation process started a year ago. There's still, apparently, nothing I
> can use today - at least, nothing better than the ad-hocery I just created.

Citations are *particularly* difficult given how many smart people have
tried to solve this particular problem in the past.

I do think that we are getting *very close* to a draft hCite, and perhaps it
is time that we as a community focused on making that happen in the next few
weeks.

What if we set a goal for hCite 0.1 of August 30?  Is that reasonable?

In addition, I definitely encourage you to continue with the ad-hoccery and
experimentation with your own site and content.  That's exactly the kind of
experience that can help with making a practical microformat.

Thanks much for your input, efforts, and for bringing up the citation
microformat again.  Sometimes is just takes *one more* person to bring
something up before it is solved.

Tantek