[uf-discuss] mf-dev

Tantek Ç elik tantek at cs.stanford.edu
Wed Jun 7 07:52:22 PDT 2006

On 6/6/06 10:57 PM, "Michael MD" <mdagn at spraci.com> wrote:

>> I think I know where the people in the mf-dev conversation think
>> about this (Dan, Tantek, Brian and myself) , but I'd like to open
>> this discussion up to more people, as it was the potential to impact
>> publishers.
>>

> I've tried to subscribe to mf-dev a few times and gave up - no response...

Hi Michael,

Perhaps this should be an FAQ with more explanation, but the
microformats-dev list is open for subscription to only those with a public
implementation.[1]  This was a deliberate decision on my part to "keep it
real" and cut down on the number of theoretical
arguments/questions/issues/ratholes that I've seen raised by armchair
implementers on other lists.  The archives are of course public for everyone
to read and search.

(Note if folks have tried to sign up on the microformats-dev list, and do
have an implementation, please be sure indicate as such by adding your
implementation to the implementations page[2], and to the Implementations
section(s) of whichever microformat(s) you have implemented.)

Since it is incredibly easy to build and publish at least a simple
microformats implementation, this has worked fairly well.

> ..given that I am experimenting with parsing microformats (especially
> hcalendar - as most of this is related to events listings - but some vcard
> stuff will probably be also used to specify location details such as cities)
> and plan to include such parsers in software to be given to event promoters
> and also server-side aggregators

Is there any chance you can open source your work in progress?

> I thought I should subscribe to it to
> learn better ways of doing this and to make sure I don't repeat mistakes
> others may have made before me.

Feel free to ask any questions you arise at on the microformats-discuss list
until you have published your implementation.

Thanks,

Tantek

[1] http://microformats.org/discuss/
[2] http://microformats.org/wiki/implementations