[uf-discuss] hCalendar scope

Hans Gerwitz hans at gerwitz.com
Thu Jun 8 13:07:31 PDT 2006

Excuse me while I ramble a bit.

On Jun 6, 2006, at 2:32 PM, Ryan King wrote:

>> So, I'd like to propose the VEVENT-centric scope of hCalendar be
>> formalized:
>> - Ryan's "remove vjournal" to-do item should be expanded to
>> include vtodo and vfreebusy, and executed to prevent others
>> falling into the trap I did.
>
> Actually, I'm not convinced that these need to disappear– the
> reason they aren't described yet is that no one (besides Mark) has
> spent any time on them. If you'd like to work on them, I'd
> certainly help pull together the notes I have on them.

By "these" you mean vtodo and vfreebusy?  Is it only vjournal that's
unloved?

On Jun 6, 2006, at 1:30 PM, brian suda wrote:

> Also, hCalendar doesn't support the full spectrum of iCalendar.
> There is still on going discussion about how to encode Re-occurring
> events properly and if it is even an issue? There has been
> discussion of modeling hCalendar after the ICAL Basic spec[1,2] and
> NOT the RFC (of which the ICAL Basic is a subset).

I'd be inclined to agree with tracking the iCal-Basic draft, rather
than the RFC., but this leaves out VTODO.  It's also noteworthy that
Royer's intention was to document the emerged, de-facto standard, yet
Apple's iCal uses both the excluded VTODO and VTIMEZONE.

Personally, I'm not tied to any of the components.  My protestations
result from my initial confusion after the wiki guided me toward use
of vjournal, which is, in the real world, not a member of hCalendar.
So I was left deciding how to mark up my content based on a survey of
the tools I want to benefit from, which begs a few questions about
what purpose the wiki serves. ;-)

Maybe we need a reference validator?  As a new adopter, I certainly
would benefit from one.
- - -
Hans Gerwitz
hans.gerwitz.com