[uf-discuss] Microformats Community Mark

brian suda brian.suda at gmail.com
Thu Jun 22 18:32:13 PDT 2006

Today on IRC[1], we talked briefly about the Microformats Logo and how
it is setup to be a Community Mark. Tantek pointed to Chris Messina's
original post about the idea of a community mark[2].

I really do like the idea, it fits nicely with everything that we are
doing here as a community, but i do have some reservations and
questions. Hopefully, as a community we can help clarify what a
"community mark" (cm) really is?

I also know Microformats are very much against "Theoretical" situations,
so i'll try and ground this in the real world as much as possible!

Back in March, i had a suggestion for a Microformat style T-Shirt[3] I
really like it, but i'm biased. Now since the logo is a community mark,
I would need to ask the community's approval to use the logo and put it
on a shirt and possibly sell it on my own Microformats store.

Questions:
1) What constitutes a "community consensus", if I ask the list and 5
people respond saying, "sure go ahead", is that enough?
2) Can it be revoked? If my shirt sells like wild-fire and and the other
microformats store[4] gets mad, can my usage be revoked?
3) what about projects that can not be disclosed? Pingerati.net[5] has a
big Microformats logo on it, Technorati didn't ask the community (i'm
sure it would have been OK) but if they had asked, the description of
usage would have either been vague or they would have to give away the
surprise of what they were working on.

I've shared apartments with people before and we had similar community
agreements, you can eat my food, use my stuff, just ask, or just give
back - and that works really well, until someone says "we you let me use
it last week..." (we all know how it starts, and we all know how it ends!)

I ask these question not because I want this to fail, but because I want
it to succeed.

-brian

[1] - http://rbach.priv.at/Microformats-IRC/2006-06-23#T002652
[2] - http://factoryjoe.com/blog/2006/01/14/the-case-for-community-marks/