[uf-discuss] permalinks for microformat chunks of pages: use the 'id' attribute on root microformat elements

brian suda brian.suda at gmail.com
Fri Jun 23 07:41:35 PDT 2006

At first look i really like this idea, but then i though about it for a
minute....

You are adding 'brighton' into the class attribute, which violates the
human readable aspect of Microformats. This would be better...

in hCard there already is a property for grouping, class="category" so
you could use

or even
    <a class="category" rel="tag"
href="http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Brighton">Brighton</a>

Then you could begin to make a distributed web-sized group.

It is slightly more difficult for a parser to find a class="category",
then look up the tree and see if it is a child of class="vcard" rather
than putting them both on the root-element.

The other downside to adding semantics outside of the scope of hCard, is
that it is impossible to determine if it is a CSS style or a semantic
attribute.

is "call-out-box" also a group or a style?

I would recommend looking into using the category property for groups.

-brian