[uf-discuss] Product Data Microformat Revisited

Chris Roos chris at seagul.co.uk
Fri Mar 10 01:47:56 PST 2006

I'd like to revisit the subject of a product microformat again if I may.

I think I've finally found a reason why I'd (personally) like to have a
product microformat.  I'd like to be able to dynamically add a link to
reevoo reviews on many different retailer sites (using something like
greasemonkey).  Having looked at a few retailers this morning I realise
that it's currently virtually impossible.  It would be trivial if their
product data was marked up using a microformat containing identifying
information.

The first obvious (and I'd suggest major) problem here is in getting the
retailers on board.  Not only due to the extra work involved but also
because it could make it easier for price comparison sites to work
without their (the retailer's) involvement - actually I'm not sure
that's a real problem...

I wonder if Mike (Dierken) and David (Beach) would have any info re the
possibility of getting a microformat like this integrated into Amazon
and Yahoo! Shopping?

I wonder also if anyone else has any more actual uses (I realise mine is
kinda only relevant to me/reevoo.com) of a product microformat; and,
almost more importantly, whether these uses would bring any compelling
reasons for the retailers to sign up?  Personally I'm not convinced this
is worth pursuing unless the retailers get on board.  Having just had
another quick scan of the microformats wiki I wonder if the concept of a
product microformat is quite different from all the others (could very
easily be my lack of understanding).  I think that all the other
microformats can be useful even if only used by individuals: where a
product microformat only really becomes useful when used/endorsed by
retailers.  Does this sound fair?

Look forward to hearing thoughts on this.

Chris