[uf-discuss] Plants Microformat

Scott Reynen scott at randomchaos.com
Thu Mar 23 14:25:08 PST 2006

On Mar 23, 2006, at 3:43 PM, Paul Bryson wrote:

>> but it doesn't have the major problem of identification  with the
>> latin
>> terms acting as unique IDs.
>
> Is there any page that discusses the potential issues of using IDs in
> microformats?

Oh, I didn't mean ID attributes - just something to uniquely identify
plants.  All plants have a unique latin name, so if two people
discuss the same plant, it's easy to identify that they're both the
same.  It's much more complicated with products, because different
systems use different identifiers (bar codes, serial numbers, ISBN,
VIN, etc.), which can overlap.  It's clear what <span class="latin-
name">Erysimum Cheiri</span> means because there is only one
"Erysimum Cheiri" in the plant world.  It's less clear what <span
class="id">Q7639R087</span> means, because the meaning is very
dependent on context.

Peace,
Scott