[uf-discuss] Plants Microformat

Breton Blake Slivka zen at ZenPsycho.com
Thu Mar 23 18:31:38 PST 2006

Brian, if you look at the wiki, it would seem that he already has done
much of what you list.
I'm with you so far as defining the simpler microformat first for the
Latin classification system.
My thought is that it's a very specific microformat, which sort of bucks
the trend of very broadly applicable microformats thus far defined and
set as "official" specifications on microformats.org.

My suggestion is, a plant microformat does not necessarily require the
endorsement of microformats.org. If one desires to propose a new format
for something, it is much easier to build support if there are already
tools available which can make use of it. That is, make the plant
information aggregator *first*, /then/ market the format. This is part
of the reason why I believe hCalendar and hCard have gained such wide
adoption, as there is already x2v, the relevant creator applets, and the
wide range of existing applications which could already make use of
vcard and icalendar files produced from x2v.

However, a species classification microformat would fit right in with
the other broadly applicable microformats on microformats.org.