[uf-discuss] Enumerating Microformats on a Page

Scott Reynen scott at randomchaos.com
Fri Mar 24 16:40:49 PST 2006

On Mar 24, 2006, at 4:20 PM, Ryan King wrote:

> Hmm, this sounds to me like a theoretical argument. I'd like to
> hear what experience people have had here. Has anyone here worked
> on crawling to index microformats? If so, what challenges did you
> face?

Yes.  The two I know of are reevoo, which aggregates hreviews:

http://www.reevoo.com/

and my own effort, which aggregates hcards, hcalendars, and hreviews:

http://randomchaos.com/microformats/base/

My main challenges have been a lack of space to store the data (which
has nothing to do with microformats) and the the lack of a parser
that can read invalid X(HT)ML (which is only an issue because I
haven't installed Tidy on my server).  If microformat site maps
existed, I would use them as starting points to know where to look,
but I wouldn't trust them as any sort of accurate listing of what's
on a domain just because I know I would likely forget to update my
own if I had one.  So I'd still be reading the same number of
documents, just in a different order.

Peace,
Scott