[uf-discuss] Enumerating Microformats on a Page

Scott Reynen scott at randomchaos.com
Sun Mar 26 19:57:32 PST 2006

On Mar 26, 2006, at 7:48 PM, Antonio Touriño wrote:

>> I'd want to take advantage of it to decide where to start, but not
>> where to end.  A search engine should seek to maximize the search
>> area to improve results.  I want to look at everything on your site,
>> unless instructed otherwise.
>
> If there are cases in which you might not want to believe the sitemap.
> what are they? How are you going to distinguish them? If you are going
> to selectively chose when to rely on a sitemap then I don't see the
> point to it.

I would always believe a site map as *a* source of links, but I would
never believe a site map as *the* source of links. If there were
microformat site maps, I would have my crawler look for them, and
start spidering a site from the addresses listed in a site map,
because that would likely lead to microformat content more quickly
than just traversing every link (which is what it does now).  When it
was done with those addresses in the site map, I would have it go on
to traverse all links.  So if the site map was inaccurate, I still
wouldn't be missing anything (so I'd say no harm done), and if it was
accurate, the spidering would be slightly more efficient.  I doubt
that efficiency is worth the time and effort of developing site maps,
but as it's not my time and effort, I have no reason to discourage
anyone who thinks otherwise.

Peace,
Scott