[uf-discuss] hAtom handheld CSS..?

David Janes -- BlogMatrix davidjanes at blogmatrix.com
Mon Mar 27 15:28:05 PST 2006

This is an interesting idea. Here are the key elements to Russell
Beattie's proposal (I think) as it relates to hAtom:

 > I have to say I’m getting more and more convinced that this is the
 > direction that the mobile web is going to go. No recoding markup, no
 > “separate and always unequal” access to content, etc. Just include a
 > different style sheet on your server and you can re-arrange your
 > web-standard markup as you see fit.

So what's being said is _make your websites so they can be restyled
using CSS to make a mobile friendly presentation_. And...

 > But it’s still the same underlying markup. And this works for the
 > whole portal like this, so for example if you sign up for a blog, you
 > also get a mobile readable/usable blog as well. That’s pretty awesome.

So they're producing weblogs also. The two points uses for for hAtom are

(1)
hAtom provides a regular and consistent way to mark up your weblog
content, not just for semantic reasons but also for presentation ones.

Since they're proposing that web pages should be produced in a way that
allows CSS restyling -- a non-trivial task -- having a standard way to
mark up well known content means it will be easier for web designers to
produce these stylesheets.

So since web designers often work on blog presentation, having hAtom as
the way to mark up weblog content to do all this is the way to go. A
win/win for everyone.

Note that we're not proposing a panacea here, just a partial solution to
one frequently faced problem.

(2)
They're producing blogs, so they should use hAtom anyway!

Regards, etc...
David
http://www.blogmatrix.com