[uf-discuss] Citation format straw proposal on the wiki

Alf Eaton lists at hubmed.org
Wed Mar 29 11:53:22 PST 2006

On 29 Mar 2006, at 14:44, Michael McCracken wrote:

> Yeah, this is getting very similar, and I certainly don't have any
> huge problems with the differences between our versions. A couple
> questions:
>
> - I'm still not convinced about [type] as a class, although it'd be
> useful to have that data in there somewhere, it seems like it has the
> potential to create a lot of classes (aren't class names shared across
> all microformats?) and it also doesn't line up with how citations are
> used on the web now, eg. you don't say "[3] Book: "Linkers & Loaders",
> John R. Levine, 2000" , you say "[3] "Linkers & Loaders", John R.
> Levine, 2000"

I just think it would be hard for a processor to process a
microformatted citation if it didn't know what type it was and thus
which elements to look for. If looking for a class="type" inside the
citation and getting the information from there is easier than
looking for a classname in the parent then fair enough.

> hcards with no containing element? what is requiring that element
> buying us?

To distinguish the people from editors or other contributors? You
could add that information into each person's hcard instead, but it
seems better this way. It could have an effect on the display
formatting too.

> - pages is probably not required for a minimal valid citation
> microformat - consider citing a web page or personal communication...

Right (audio too)... 'pages' was just there as an example of a
citation type-specific element.

alf.