[uf-discuss] Format-of-Formats?

Tantek Ç elik tantek at cs.stanford.edu
Thu Mar 30 12:35:29 PST 2006

Chris,

The perceived value that you see is exactly why this whole topic is such a
massive trap.

It is very seductive (especially to programmers) to think that you can
define a format for formats (a meta-format shall we say), *once*, then
implement *only that*, then have every specific format magically work.

In practice, this never[*] happens.  It's been tried *numerous* times. DTD,
XML Schema, etc.  In practice, key portions/features of really *useful*
specific formats (like HTML) *always* fall outside of the meta-format, and
*must* be specified in prose of a specification.  This is specifically why I
designed XMDP to be to absolute minimum of what is necessary to
define/recognize a vocabulary.  I'm working on some extensions for includes
(to transclude multiple XMDP profiles or portions thereof into a single
profile), but other than that, I consider XMDP "done".

In the spirit of "don't reinvent what you can re-use", anyone seriously
desiring to work on a format-of-formats should *first* teach themselves DTD,
and XML Schema *at a minimum*, before having the arrogance to think they can
do better.

And yes, exploring a format-of-formats is very much off topic and not just
outside, but *against* the philosophies and principles of microformats.

 http://microformats.org/wiki/microformats

Thanks,

Tantek

[*]The *one* exception that I know of to this that adherents have had (at
least) some amount of success with is RDF.  If you're really interested in
generic format-of-formats type discussions and all the abstractions present
therein, there is already a community that has far more experience and
understanding and desire in that space than the microformats community.