[uf-discuss] Extracting N from hCard (was: Citation Straw Proposal II)

Tantek Ç elik tantek at cs.stanford.edu
Mon May 1 18:07:38 PDT 2006

On 5/1/06 5:49 PM, "Karl Dubost" <karl at w3.org> wrote:

> Le 06-05-02 à 08:50, Tantek Çelik a écrit :
>
> Is there a reason for not using the
> - cite element

I wanted to alter the example given to *only* illustrate the specific point
I was making.  When too much changes, often it is not clear what change is
meant to illustrate what.

Using the <cite> element is of course more semantic and is thus is the
better authoring practice.

> - value "reference" for "class" attribute
>              or maybe "source"

The precise names for the properties are still very much under discussion.

See citation-brainstorming for current thoughts on this.

 http://microformats.org/wiki/citation-brainstorming

See also naming-principles for some of the methodology of how we try to pick
property names for microformats:

 http://microformats.org/wiki/naming-principles

> I tend to avoid "citation" because of it has a a tendency to confuse
> people accross western languages. For example, citation is in French
> a quote (extract of a book) and a citation (reference for author).

This is a good comment to add to the "citation-brainstorming" page.  Please
add it!

> There are a lot of Bibliography Formats on Dana Jacobsen's Web site.
> It's interesting to look at the different strategies used for giving
> a reference to a work.
> http://www.ecst.csuchico.edu/~jacobsd/bib/formats/

Karl, the folks on the list working on the citation microformat have done *A
LOT* of work to document both existing examples of citations on the Web
today, and existing citation formats.  Please take a look, and if you know
of any more, please add them:

 http://microformats.org/wiki/citation-examples

 http://microformats.org/wiki/citation-formats

> BibTex format uses

I believe BibTex is already documented in citation-formats.  Feel free to
improve the documentation if necessary!

Thanks,

Tantek