[uf-discuss] Citation Straw Proposal II

Edward Summers ehs at pobox.com
Wed May 3 02:16:31 PDT 2006

On Apr 29, 2006, at 1:58 PM, Brian Suda wrote:
> I have spent some time reviewing the examples and the formats on the
> wiki. Here is the list of the implied schemas. These are the common
> fields amongst the examples. I then looked at the cross over between
> the real-world examples and the formats and have created a straw
> proposal from that.

Nice work Brian.

> At the moment it is pretty strict, i only included
> VERY common properties - it is easier to make additions than
> subtractions - so if there is a property that is NOT in the straw
> proposal please speak-up.

I noticed a couple things:

- you have audience as not being in the implied schema for formats
but it is actually a valid DC element, albeit not in the core set.

- journal is missing from the implied schema for examples. There are
several examples that use include a journal ACM Digital Library, Self-
Citation Example, IEEE Search Results, CiteSeer, PubMed Medical
Journal Example. Indeed it's even listed in the 'Implied Schema' [1].
Some of the examples that had journal names neglected to break it out
as such though (which I've just remedied), so that might have added
some obscurity. Being able to mark up a journal is pretty important
for academic citations.

Also I'm a bit confused by:

title="book" class="format">Foo Bar</abbr></span>?
It was written by <span class="author vcard"><span class="fn">John
Doe</span></span>.
It only came out a <abbr class="dtpublished" title="20060101">few
months ago</abbr></p>

What function is the title attribute in <abbr title="book" ...>
serving here?

I guess the draft will reference the Datetime Design Pattern [2]
explicitly? Speaking of a draft--lets write one! Is that the next
logical step in the process? Thanks so much for your continued efforts!

//Ed

[1] http://microformats.org/wiki/citation-examples#Implied_schema
[2] http://microformats.org/wiki/datetime-design-pattern