[uf-discuss] Citation Straw Proposal II (Recap)

Tantek Ç elik tantek at cs.stanford.edu
Thu May 4 19:50:24 PDT 2006

On 5/4/06 7:28 PM, "Brian Suda" <brian.suda at gmail.com> wrote:

> CITE: Contains a citation or a reference to other sources.
>
> That needs further discussion on when and where to use that element.
> One of the objectives of the citation microformat is to be able to use
> citations as a bibliography AND inline a blog post.

Brian, this is precisely why I pointed out in the citation discussions that
we should NOT make it a *requirement* to use the citation microformat as a
self-reference of sorts (inline a blog post).

Let's first solve the *specific* common problem of citations to other
sources please, and leave future reuse possibilities to the future, rather
than trying to prematurely cram in a bunch of non-essential requirements
which inevitably result in odd effects (like concluding that a <cite> tag is
inappropriate for a citation).  This is the essence of keep it simple.

Thanks,

Tantek