[uf-discuss] Accessibility and using the abbr element in hCalendar...

Peter Krantz peter.krantz at gmail.com
Wed May 17 06:31:05 PDT 2006

On 5/17/06, brian suda <brian.suda at gmail.com> wrote:
> This is correct, what is your question? previously on the mailing list
> there was a discussion about screen readers reading out the TITLE
> attribute, which is not true.

I believe you are wrong about screen readers not reading out the title
attribute. Most screen readers I know of allow the user to expand
title attributes for abbr and acronym meaning that they replace the
actual content of the element. I have experience from working with
visually impaired users and most, if not all of them, use the expand
titles option.

>From the HTML spec:
http://www.w3.org/TR/html4/struct/global.html#adef-title

"Values of the title attribute may be rendered by user agents in a
variety of ways. For instance, visual browsers frequently display the
title as a "tool tip" (a short message that appears when the pointing
device pauses over an object). Audio user agents may speak the title
information in a similar context"

I do not feel that the title attribute is used correctly if you stick
machine readable datetime values into it. If this is the designed way
to convey the information I think the hCalendar microformat will need
to be updated.

Kind regards,

Peter Krantz
http://www.standards-schmandards.com