[uf-discuss] CFP microformat?

Angus McIntyre angus at pobox.com
Tue May 30 05:49:59 PDT 2006

At 21:45 +0200 20.05.2006, Ryan King wrote:
>On May 20, 2006, at 9:13 PM, Tantek Çelik wrote:
>>  A good first step might be to see if you can get these conferences just
>>  using hCalendar to start with ...
>I want to reemphasize this....
>
>The use case you described sounds like a specialized case of "events + todos"
>which sounds like exactly hCalendar. If hCalendar isn't sufficient, the
>only way to know reliably is try it out first.

There can be calls for papers which don't have
such an obviously 'eventy' nature, i.e. calls for
journal articles. There's certainly a due date in
almost all cases, but other attributes may be
very specific to a CFP rather than an hCalendar
item. Keywords - tags - is one obvious one, and
paper length is another. I offer as an example
the call for journal articles at:

     http://www.researchforsexwork.org/target/calls/r4sw09.html

whose editor has been complaining to me that her
contributors are apparently incapable of reading
the part that says "maximum number of words is
..."

This example includes:

	- journal title ("Research for Sex Work")
	- journal instance title ("Sex Work and Money")
	- due date (15 Dec 2005)
	- paper length (1200 words)
	- acceptable languages for submissions (English, French, Chinese ...)
	- contact address (an obvious hCard candidate)
	- suggested topics (which are more than just tags)

Many CFPs will have multiple due dates - the due
date for submission of an abstract, and the due
date for submission of the final article. In some
cases there may even be a due date for submission
of the camera-ready copy of accepted articles.

hCFP starts to look like a candidate for a
complex microformat that contains an hCard, plus
hCalendar entries for due dates, plus perhaps a
microformat representation of a conference, book
or journal (which may have hCalendar and hCard
entries themselves), plus some CFP-specific
information like paper length and submission
languages.

This might be in 20% territory, but in other ways
it's quite a natural application of microformats
and the payoff - automated identification of CFPs
- is worthwhile.

Angus