[uf-discuss] RDFa and microformats

Scott Reynen scott at randomchaos.com
Tue May 30 11:57:51 PDT 2006

On May 30, 2006, at 1:25 PM, Elias Torres wrote:

> We could gain more if we gave it a shot at working
> together by leveraging the unbelievable momentum uFs have and the more
> general goals of RDFa even though in the end we might end up with *A*
> totally different specification that what either of the current
> proposals started as in their respective organizations.

I think the disconnect right now is that the process of microformat
development requires real-world implementations on which to make
decisions, and RDFa has no real-world implementations.  Until RDFa
has real-world implementations, it's not likely to influence the
direction of microformat development based on a thusfar entirely
theoretical format.  If and when RDFa has real-world implementations,
the process of microformat development ensures that those will be
taken into account just like other real-world implementations (e.g.
vcard, vcalendar, etc.) have influenced microformat development in
the past.  So there is no standards war to talk about yet, and it's
not at all clear there ever will be.

Peace,
Scott