[uf-discuss] Mashup a Web page containing geo microformats with Google Earth?

Brian Suda brian.suda at gmail.com
Fri Nov 3 04:09:21 PST 2006

There is also a pure DOM Javascript version by Jeremy Keith here: (you
can view source to see how it works) It used hCards/hCalendar and GEO
to mash-up google maps.
http://austin.adactio.com/

As for my geo service (http://suda.co.uk/projects/microformats/geo/)
that uses an XSLT to convert the HTML into a KML/GeoRSS file which be
loaded into supported mapping applications.

I hope this helps get you started. If/when you have a URL please share
it with the list and we can give you some feedback. And be sure to add
it to the wiki under geo implementations.

Thanks,
-brian

On 11/2/06, Scott Reynen <scott at randomchaos.com> wrote:
> On Nov 2, 2006, at 2:37 PM, Costello, Roger L. wrote:
>
> > Suppose I have an ordinary HTML web page.  Embedded in the web page
> > are
> > a number of geo microformats.  The web page has a link to, say, a
> > Javascript file.  When the web page is loaded in a browser, the
> > Javascript is automatically invoked and extracts all the geo
> > Microformats, mashes them with Google Earth, and then displays a
> > Google
> > Earth map on the browser screen with dots at the locations where the
> > geo microformats indicated.
> >
> > For a user who doesn't want a map display, he can receive the same web
> > page, but with a link to a CSS file, which displays the geo data in a
> > textual form.
> >
> > Thus, the same data can be rendered in multiple different ways.
> >
> > Has anyone done this kind of thing?  Care to share how you did it?
>
> Brian Suda has done this here:
>
> http://suda.co.uk/projects/microformats/geo/
>
> Peace,
> Scott