[uf-discuss] Fwd: Timeline and microformats

Brian Suda brian.suda at gmail.com
Sun Nov 5 04:55:09 PST 2006

On 11/4/06, Kevin Marks <kmarks at technorati.com> wrote:
> seen http://simile.mit.edu/timeline/ ?
>
> I contacted the author - what's the best existing 'hCalendar to JSON'
> tool?

--- i'll spare everyone all the implementation details, but i have
been trying to refactor alot of the XSLT code so that it is easier to
choose an output format. Until i finished, the quickest and easiest
hCal->JSON converter would be to take the open-source XSLT[1] and just
replace the output text from DTSTART to the corresponding JSON
["dtstart": ... ]

-brian

[1] - http://hg.microformats.org/x2v

> Begin forwarded message:
>
> > From: David Huynh <dfhuynh at csail.mit.edu>
> > Date: November 3, 2006 6:54:57 AM PST
> > To: Kevin Marks <kevinmarks at mac.com>
> > Subject: Re: Timeline and microformats
> >
> > Thanks, Kevin. As far as I understand, hCalendar is for embedding
> > calendar attributes within HTML. Is there an efficient way to gather
> > these attributes distributed all over the DOM? If you can do that,
> > then it's not hard to construct event objects and feed them to
> > Timeline.
> >
> > David
> >

> > Kevin Marks wrote:
> >> Your Timeline is a string piece of work, and it seems a perfect fit
> >> for the hCalendar microformat:
> >>
> >> http://microformats.org/wiki/hcalendar
> >>
> >> This is very close to your existing xml structure, but is already
> >> widely adopted across the web, for example by Yahoo Local,
> >> upcoming.org and evdb.com

brian suda
http://suda.co.uk