[uf-discuss] vote-for

Ryan King ryan at technorati.com
Mon Nov 6 11:18:03 PST 2006

On Nov 2, 2006, at 8:14 AM, Siegfried Gipp wrote:

> Am Mittwoch, 1. November 2006 20:28 schrieb Ryan King:
>
>> 1. The original spec of vote-links erroneously specified that the
>> vote-links link relationships should be on the @rel attribute.
>> There's content on the web (which will never go away) that uses this
>> construct. So, using @rel='vote-for' is not compatible with past
>> specifications.
>
> Well, that may be a point
>
>> 2. Using @rel and @rev for different meanings is not future proof. It
>> is highly likely that future versions of HTML will drop @rev.
> If the rev attribute will some day be dropped, then there would
> automatically
> be no legal way to use rev="vote-for". But this is out of scope for
> microformats. This is up to the w3c
>
> But then, if the rev attribute will be dropped, why not define a
> semantics for
> rel="vote-for"?

I think you missed how my two points interacted. It's not possible
for us to define a semantic for rel="vote-for" which is different
than semantic of rev="vote-for". Because of my point #1 above, this
will only cause ambiguity. Due to point #2, we may paint ourselves
into a corner and lose the ability to express the semantic that
rev="vote-for" currently carries.

-ryan
--
Ryan King